Academic Exchange Program (AEP)
An alphabetic list of Academic Exchange Professors can be viewed here.
A listing of Institutions, Courses, and Instructors can be viewed here.
Professors / Instructors
To Participate: If you would like to participate in AFIO's Academic Exchange Program, please complete this secure participation form. For other inquiries contact AFIO's Director of the AEP.
For list of current Academic Exchange Participants, click here
or here for a list of all courses and professors.
Professors seeking assistance for Fall 2016-17 or Spring 2016 syllabi development, please send us an email.
AFIO archives hold copies of course syllabi for the college level intelligence courses listed below. They are available for review in the AFIO Library by members of AFIO's Academic Exchange Program. Professors considering the design of courses in this field are invited to contact AFIO for participation in the AEP.
Students looking for courses should follow the College / University links to see what is being offered that term, or email listed professors to see if they might be teaching topics of interest to you, and where.
To explore careers in intelligence, visit our page here.
The following listing are those universities certified as "CAE" = Center of Academic Excellence program institutions as established by the Director of National Intelligence.
A listing of other schools also teaching intelligence, national security, and intelligence-related courses can be found here.
- Acadia University, Wolfville, Nova Scotia, Canada
- American Military University (on-line), Charlestown, West Virginia
- American Public University (on-line), Charlestown, West Virginia
- American University, Washington D.C.
- Angelo State University, San Angelo, Texas
Arizona State University, Tempe, Arizona, and large number of online courses here at ASU Online.
Auburn University, Auburn University Institute for Collaboration and Technology, Auburn, Alabama
- Austin Peay University, Clarksville, Tennessee
- Bellevue University, Bellevue, Nebraska (CAE partner with University of Nebraska Lincoln)
Bergen Community College, Paramus, New Jersey
Bradley University, Peoria, Illinois
Boise State University, Boise, Idaho
Boston University, Boston, Massachusetts
- Brigham Young University, Marriott School of Business, Provo, Utah
- California Institute of Technology, Pasadena, California
California State University, San Bernardino, California (CAE)
- California State University Northridge, Northridge, California
Campbell University, Buies Creek, North Carolina
- Capella University (on-line), Minneapolis, Minnesota
- Carlton University, Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
- Carnegie Mellon University, Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania (CAE)
Case Western Reserve University, Cleveland, Ohio
Catholic University, Washington D.C.
The Center for Counterintelligence and Security Studies, Alexandria, Virginia
Central Pennsylvania College, Summerdale, Pennsylvania
Central Missouri State University, Warrensburg, Missouri
- Champlain College, Burlington, Vermont
- Clarion University, Clarion, Pennsylvania
- Clark Atlanta University, Atlanta, Georgia (CAE)
- Clemson University, Clemson, South Carolina (CAE)
- Coastal Carolina University, Conway, South Carolina
Columbia University, New York, New York
- Creighton University, Omaha, Nebraska (CAE partner with University of Nebraska Lincoln)
- Daniel Morgan Graduate School of National Security, Washington, D.C.
Dartmouth College, Hanover New Hampshire
DeSales University, Center Valley, Pennsylvania
- Dominican University, Graduate School of Library and Information Science, River Forest, Illinois
- Drew University, Madison, New Jersey
- Drexel University, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
- Eastern Kentucky University, Richmond, Kentucky
Embry-Riddle Aeronautical University, Prescott, Arizona
- Fairleigh-Dickinson University, Madison, New Jersey
Fairmont State University, Fairmont, West Virginia
- Fayetteville State University, Fayetteville, North Carolina
- Florida Agricultural and Mechanical University, Tallahassee, Florida (CAE)
- Florida International University, Miami, Florida (CAE)
Franklin and Marshall College, Lancaster, Pennsylvania
George Mason University, Fairfax, Virginia
Georgetown University, Washington D.C.
George Washington University, Elliot School of International Affairs, Washington D.C.
- Hampden-Sidney College, Hampden-Sidney, Virginia
- Harvard University, Cambridge, Massachusetts
Henley-Putnam University (on-line), San Jose, California
- Hilbert College, Hamburg, New York
- Howard University, Washington, D.C. (CAE consortium member with Virginia Polytechnic Institute and State University)
Hunter College, New York, New York
- Indiana University, School of Informatics and Computing, Bloomington, Indiana
The Institute of World Politics, Washington D.C.
- James Madison University, Harrisonburg, Virginia
- Johns Hopkins University, Carey Business School, Baltimore, Maryland
- Johns Hopkins University School of Advanced International Studies, Washington, D.C.
- Johns Hopkins University School of Education, Public Safety Leadership, Columbia, Maryland
- John Jay College of Criminal Justice, New York, New York
- Kent State University, Kent, Ohio
- Kutztown University of Pennsylvania, Kutztown, Pennsylvania
- Liberty University, Lynchburg, Virginia
- Lockheed Martin Center for Security Analysis, Newington, Virginia
Long Island University, Riverhead, New York
Massachusetts Institute of Technology, Cambridge, Massachusetts
Mercyhurst College, Ridge Institute for Intelligence Studies and Applied Sciences, Erie, Pennsylvania
- Michigan State University, East Lansing, Michigan
- Miles College, Birmingham, Alabama (CAE)
- Missouri State University, Springfield, Missouri
- Missouri State University, Department of Defense and Strategic Studies, Fairfax, Virginia
National Defense Intelligence College, Washington D.C.
- Neumann College, Aston, Pennsylvania
New Jersey City University, College of Professional Studies, Jersey City, New Jersey
- New Mexico State University, Las Cruces, New Mexico
New York University, New York, New York
- Northeastern University, Boston, Massachusetts
- Norfolk State University, Norfolk, Virginia (CAE)
- North Carolina Agricultural & Technical State University, Greensboro, North Carolina (CAE)
North Carolina Wesleyan College, Rocky Mount, North Carolina
Norwich University, Northfield, Vermont
Notre Dame College, Center for Intelligence Studies, Cleveland, Ohio
Ohio State University, Columbus, Ohio
Ohio University, Athens, Ohio
- Oklahoma State University, Stillwater, Oklahoma
- Patrick Henry College, Purcellville, Virginia
- Pennsylvania State University, University Park, Pennsylvania (CAE)
Point Park University, Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
- Post University, Waterbury, Connecticut
- Radford University, Radford, Virginia
- Regent University, Alexandria, Virginia
- Robert Morris University, Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
Rockhurst University, Global Studies Center, Kansas City, Missouri
Rutgers University, New Brunswick, New Jersey
- St. Edward's University, Austin, Texas
- St. John's University, Queens, New York
- St. Joseph's University, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
- Saint Leo University, Saint Leo, Florida
- San Francisco State University, San Francisco, California
- Simon Fraser University, Burnaby, British Columbia, Canada
- Stanford University, Palo Alto, California
State University of New York, Rockefeller College of Public Affairs and Policy, Albany, New York
Syracuse University, Institute for National Security and Counterterrorism, Syracuse, New York
Temple University, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
- Tennessee State University, Nashville, Tennessee (CAE)
- Trinity University, Washington, D.C. (CAE)
- Tufts University, Fletcher School of Law and Diplomacy, Medford, Massachusetts
- University of California - Davis, Davis, California
- University of California - Irvine, Merage School of Business, Irvine, California
- University of California Los Angeles, Los Angeles, California
- University of Central Florida, Orlando, Florida
- University of Connecticut, Storrs, Connecticut
- University of Denver, Daniels College of Business, Denver, Colorado
University of Detroit Mercy, Detroit, Michigan
- University of Georgia, Athens, Georgia
- University of Illinois, Springfield, Illinois
University of Kentucky, Patterson School of Diplomacy and International Commerce, Lexington, Kentucky
University of Maine, Orono, Maine
- University of Maryland, College Park, Maryland (CAE)
- University of Maryland University College, Largo, Maryland (on-line)
University of Miami, Coral Gables, Florida
University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, Michigan
- University of Minnesota, Hubert Humphrey School of Public Affairs, Minneapolis, Minnesota
- University of Mississippi, Oxford, Mississippi
- University of Nebraska Omaha, Omaha, Nebraska (CAE partner with University of Nebraska Lincoln)
- University of New Haven, New Haven, Connecticut
- University of New Mexico, Albuquerque, New Mexico (CAE)
- University of North Carolina - Wilmington, Wilmington, North Carolina (CAE)
University of North Georgia, Dahlonega, Georgia
University of Oklahoma, Norman, Oklahoma
- University of Ottawa, Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
University of Pittsburgh, Katz Graduate School of Business, Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
- University of the Redlands, Redlands, California
- University of San Diego, San Diego, California
University of South Florida, International Studies Program, St. Petersburg, Florida
- University of Texas at Austin, School of Information, Austin, Texas
- University of Texas at El Paso, El Paso, Texas (CAE)
- University of Texas Pan American, Edinburg, Texas (CAE)
University of Texas at San Antonio, San Antonio, Texas
- University of Toronto, Toronto, Ontario, Canada
- University of Utah, Salt Lake City, Utah
- University of Virginia, Charlottesville, Virginia
- University of Washington, Seattle, Washington (CAE)
- U.S. Coast Guard Academy, New London, Connecticut
Utah State University, Logan, Utah
Utica College and Utica College-Online Campus, Utica, Utah
Villanova University, Villanova, Pennsylvania
- Virginia Commonwealth University, Richmond, Virginia
- Virginia Polytechnic Institute and State University, Blacksburg, Virginia (CAE)
- Wayne State University, Detroit, Michigan (CAE)
West Virginia University, Morgantown, West Virginia
Widener University, Chester, Pennsylvania
- Williams College, Amherst, Massachusetts
Yale University, New Haven, Connecticut
* CAE = Center of Academic Excellence program institution as established by the Director of National Intelligence
Academic Exchange Program (AEP) - Institutions with formal programs in intelligence, homeland security, counterterrorism and related
Intelligence Training Opportunities for High School Students
The National Security & Intelligence conference, hosted by LeadAmerica, provides high achieving students with the opportunity to build real world career skills and analyze leadership attributes within the environment of our nation’s capital. For ten days, students examine historic and current challenges to National Security, while understanding the roles and methods of diplomacy and intelligence through focused workshops on Iran, the Kashmir Crisis, and the Cuban Missile Crisis. In addition, students analyze issues such as information sharing, the origins of terrorism, intelligence ethics and the proliferation of WMD’s, while also attending briefings at the U.S. State Department and the Saudi Arabian Embassy. Students visit the Pentagon and the International Spy Museum and participate in an engaging Career Planning Seminar, which exposes them to career tracks and the requisite training for the fields of Intelligence and National Security. Students also complete LeadAmerica’s skill building curriculum, which fosters necessary skills such as teambuilding, time management, and communication, culminating in the formulation of a personal mission and vision statement.
To learn more about LeadAmerica and the National Security & Intelligence conference please visit http://www.lead-america.org/conferences/cslc/intelligence.asp or contact an Admissions Counselor at 866.FYI.LEAD.
New Jersey City University - Professional Security Studies Department
NCIX Listing of Selected Institutions and Courses Teaching Counterintelligence:
Online compendium by the National Counterintelligence Executive [NCIX] in the Office of the Director of National Intelligence of selected institutions teaching courses on Counterintelligence-related topics.
For those with access to classified systems, an additional list of CI education and training (government-provided), contact the NCIX.
Other Institutions Teaching Intelligence, Counterterrorism, and Related Courses:
Further listings of INSCT Courses are here and a full list of academic INSCT courses can be viewed online here.
Other institutions teaching intelligence can be found here.
If your institution is teaching in this field not listed above? Please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org and let us add your group to the list above.
Center for the Study of Intelligence
AFIO also recommends that scholars and academic institutions thinking of adding courses on intelligence, terrorism, or related topics, explore the Center for the Study of Intelligence at CIA which acts as an additional resource to encourage and improve the teaching of intelligence in colleges and universities throughout the country. CIA historians may be invited to lecture on intelligence-related topics. Through CIA's Officer-in-Residence Program, CIA officers teach intelligence-related courses at US colleges or universities for a two-year tour as visiting professors. The Exceptional Intelligence Analyst Program offers selected analysts throughout the Intelligence Community the opportunity to develop a year-long program of study and research, culminating in the production and possible publication by CSI of a paper detailing the study's analytical conclusions and its potential impact on the Intelligence Community. More information on CIA's Educational Outreach program can be found here: CSI Sponsorship of Educational Programs
The Center can be reached by writing to:
Director of Center for the Study of Intelligence
Central Intelligence Agency
Washington, D. C. 20505
© 2016 AFIO - Association of Former Intelligence Officers, All Rights Reserved.